Greater Noida: 21-year-old sanitation worker dies while cleaning sewer without safety gear | Noida News

GREATER NOIDA: A 21-year-old sanitation worker died after inhaling toxic fumes while cleaning a sewer without any safety gear in Begumpur village of Surajpur on Thursday, police said.
Around 10.45am, a group of labourers led by Greater Noida Authority contractor Neeraj Bhati reached the spot and started checking the sewer line in Begumpur village, which had been blocked. Krishna Kumar, the victim, was asked to enter a manhole to clean the sewer line.
However, he fainted as soon as he entered the sewer. His fellow labourers informed police and a team arrived at the spot and rushed him to a nearby hospital, where doctors declared him dead on arrival.
FIR against Gr Noida Authority contractor
On the basis of a complaint by the victim’s brother, an FIR has been lodged against the contractor and site incharge Jai Prakash. Surajpur SHO Ajay Kumar told TOI that they have booked Neeraj and Jai Prakash under IPC Section 304a (death due to negligence).
There was unrest among fellow labourers over the death, who complained that negligence on part of the contractor and Authority officials led to the death. “Krishna was given no safety equipment,” said one. The contractor fled the spot soon after the incident, angering the labourers further.

Source link